Director, Business Development – Asia
Department: Sales & Marketing, Singapore
Employment Type: Full-time
Purpose of Role: To develop and execute a sales and marketing strategy for UnderwriteMe’s new growth markets within Asia. The role holder will be expected to adopt a consultative sales approach with structured engagement plans and stakeholder mapping as they build relationships in each market. The role will work alongside the Director, Business Development – Asia & Australia and the Pacific Life Re team.
The role is central to UnderwriteMe’s future growth and is responsible for delivering technology sales for China and selected markets in South East Asia.
To develop and execute an insurer sales strategy for selected growth markets covering the Underwriting Rules Engine, Bloods & Exams, Offline and other relevant technology products that may be developed over time.
The responsibilities will include:
- Delivering a sales strategy that maximises UnderwriteMe capabilities to find new insurers and extend the product range with existing clients, prioritising by value add to UnderwriteMe and Pacific Life Re;
- Identifying opportunities by engaging with clients and Pacific Life Re Asia, attending insurer meetings and industry events to ensure an in-depth understanding of insurance technology opportunities within relevant markets that fit with UnderwriteMe’s capabilities;
- Building an in-depth knowledge of target clients through stakeholder mapping and a consultative sales process focussed on ‘discovery’.
- Leading the commercial response to opportunities, developing pitch material, leading pitch teams and pitch plans and co-ordinating work across UnderwriteMe teams to respond to RFPs and RFIs;
- Working with the Director, Business Operations to negotiate commercial contract terms with potential clients, ensuring that contractual requirements and obligations are reviewed and understood by all relevant parties before commitments are made the clients;
Training and developing client-facing Asia UnderwriteMe / Pacific Life Re people to ensure a strong and consistent sales message for our technology.
Work with the UnderwriteMe global marketing team in the UK and local Pacific Life Re marketing support to develop a marketing plan, including branding, for the selected growth markets including:
- Contributing to the development of “best of the best” pitch materials to be shared across the UnderwriteMe markets;
- Contributing articles to trade papers, attending and speaking at industry meetings and conferences to promote and develop the services of UnderwriteMe;
Online marketing through relevant social media and targeted email campaigns.
Ad-hoc projects or other tasks may be required from time to time, such as market research and competitor analysis to feed into the UK-based product teams.
Qualifications & Experience
- A strong understanding of life insurance markets in Asia, underwriting processes and the role of technology;
- Experience of working in a business development role with a consultative sales approach;
- Experience of working in a product-led software business;
- Extensive experience in writing pitch material including RFI and RFP responses;
- Experience in negotiating complex contractual arrangements – ideally technology related;
- Experience building a sales strategy based on strategic account management principles;
- A track record of establishing a sales presence in new markets from scratch;
- Fluent in English and Mandarin.
Competencies and Behaviours
- Ability and desire to communicate, written and verbal, with business customers at all levels across the business and to work well within a team environment;
- Balances stakeholders, effectively aligning the interests of multiple, diverse stakeholder groups to reach the right outcome;
- Organised, conscientious, and deadline focused with an attention to detail;
- Ability to manage competing demands and deal with non-standard and often unstructured requests, at short notice;
- Driven, results orientated with a positive outlook;
- Strong negotiator with commercial acumen;
- A motivated self-starter with ability to develop and deliver business plans;
- To be a team player sharing best practices amongst the wider team, and working closely and collaboratively with other areas of the business;
- Proven decision-making ability.
Working at Home During the Pandemic
At UnderwriteMe we are 100% working from home during the pandemic. We continue to recruit and onboard new hires during this period.
The company has invested in providing a high level of support for our employees as they continue to work from home. This includes regular “tea & talk” sessions, providing suitable home-working equipment, additional holidays and flexible working options, as well as weekly yoga classes and regular social activities. We want to make sure everyone is looked after and supported at this time. We are also contributing to our local communicates by giving staff time off for volunteering activities and making charitable donations.
Please click here to view our Privacy Statement – https://www.underwriteme.co.uk/employee-privacy-notice/