Head of Asia & Australia
Department: Asia & Australia Management
Employment Type: Full-time
The Head of Asia & Australia will be responsible for setting the market strategy for UnderwriteMe in Asia and Australia and delivering revenue and expenses in line with the annual business plan for the region. Reporting to the global CEO in the UK, they will be a member of the global Senior Management Team of UnderwriteMe and contribute at a strategic level to the company’s performance as a whole.
The role holder will be expected to structure and co-ordinate the teams across Singapore and Sydney in order to deliver strong revenue growth as well as an efficient client service and profitable department in both regions. They will also engage closely with Pacific Life Re local management to ensure that market strategy and client contact are suitably aligned.
Leadership & Management
- Work with the CEO to create and execute a clearly defined market strategy for Asia and Australia, supported by effective Sales and Operations teams;
- Work closely with Pacific Life Re Asia and Australia to align strategy with the interests of Pacific Life Re locally whilst delivering strong outcomes for UnderwriteMe;
- Be an active and effective member of the global Senior Management Team at UnderwriteMe, contributing local perspective whilst supporting the needs of the business globally;
- Contribute market insight and research to future product direction and strategy by inputting into the Product teams based in the UK;
- Build a positive business culture aligned with UnderwriteMe culture, Principles and Behaviours;
- Create a diverse team and an environment that engages all employees, offering a challenging and rewarding workplace for all;
- Oversee the necessary recruitment and on-boarding of additional staff, as well as the ongoing management and development of existing direct reports;
Ensure people have clear objectives, work effectively in teams and have structured development plans.
- Create and deliver to a revenue and operational expense plan as part of the annual planning cycle;
- Ensure that revenue is maximised through development of licence sale (or other revenue) opportunities for UnderwriteMe’s products and by generating professional services revenue for customisation and implementation work;
- Manage to the agreed operational expense plan ensuring that the business is highly efficient whilst not jeopardising client delivery or service;
Liaise between clients & PL Re Finance on billings, payments and collections to ensure costs and revenue are accrued for accurately, invoices are sent on time and payments are accurate and timely.
Sales, Marketing & Client Management
- Build and maintaining effective relationships with existing and potential clients, in conjunction with PL Re colleagues;
- Build an effective Sales team for the Asia and Australia markets to ensure that planned licence sales are delivered across both regions;
- Working with the Director, Business Development and Director, Business Operations to negotiate commercial contract terms with potential clients, with the support of the UnderwriteMe CEO;
- Ensure that there is an effective strategic account management plan in place that levers relationships across multiple levels within UnderwriteMe and Pacific Life Re;
- Deliver professional services revenue in line with plan through implementation consultancy, training and by creating opportunities for customisations of rules & business analytics;
- Co-ordinate the activities of local marketing support from PL Re with the UnderwriteMe global marketing team in the UK to deliver a structured programme of marketing activity for UnderwriteMe in Asia and Australia;
- Ensure that existing UnderwriteMe clients are managed effectively through:
- Ensuring clients meet their commitments on data submission and other pre-agreed SLAs;
- Carrying out periodic service reviews;
Driving strategic conversations and building long term partnerships that lead to further revenue opportunities.
Implementation and ongoing client support
- Overall responsibility for ensuring the teams in Singapore and Sydney are effectively resourced to meet UnderwriteMe’s commitments to clients both in terms of initial project implementation and ongoing support and service in an efficient and cost-effective way;
- Work in close conjunction with colleagues in the UK to ensure projects are on-track and to-budget, for successful and timely delivery;
- Ensure that all projects and obligations (both internal and external) are effectively managed:
- Project scope is fully planned and resourced;
- Contractual and non-contractual obligations are clearly identified;
- Appropriate infrastructure is in place to meet requirements;
- All stakeholders are kept up to date;
Collaborate with peers globally to establish common processes and ways of working across UnderwriteMe.
Maintain a thorough and up to date knowledge of Asia & Australian regulatory developments and ensure appropriate compliance, governance and risk control procedures are in place.
Qualifications & Experience
- Proven experience as a leader and strong operational manager of a unit within the software, insurance or broad financial services sectors;
- Ideally, an understanding of the insurance landscape and familiarity with the demands of the changing regulatory landscape;
- Strong managerial, leadership and influencing skills and an ability to operate at all levels;
- Track record of playing a key role in a business that has developed and sustained a leading-edge position in areas such as operational efficiency and customer service;
- Ideally, a successful track record of delivering strategic change programmes.
- Experience in negotiating complex contractual arrangements – ideally technology related;
- Significant previous experience managing effective client relationships and delivering successful outcomes for clients;
Competencies and Behaviours
- Balances stakeholders, effectively aligning the interests of multiple, diverse stakeholder groups to reach the right outcome;
- Shows initiative, flexibility and resourcefulness;
- Is able to deal with challenging deadlines and prioritises effectively;
- Provides accurate and timely updates on status of work and escalates issues appropriately;
- Is a committed team member who shares information, knowledge, and experience openly;
- Critically evaluates and challenges current work practices;
- Skilled at influencing and motivating others, at all levels of the organisation;
- Strong problem solver with good attention to detail;
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
Working at Home During the Pandemic
At UnderwriteMe we are 100% working from home during the pandemic. We continue to recruit and onboard new hires during this period.
The company has invested in providing a high level of support for our employees as they continue to work from home. This includes regular “tea & talk” sessions, providing suitable home-working equipment, additional holidays and flexible working options, as well as weekly yoga classes and regular social activities. We want to make sure everyone is looked after and supported at this time. We are also contributing to our local communicates by giving staff time off for volunteering activities and making charitable donations.
Please click here to view our Privacy Statement – https://www.underwriteme.co.uk/employee-privacy-notice/